Please note that the office will be closed at 13.45 on Wednesday 7 September 2016.
We hope that all of our residents will have a fantastic autumn semester!
From first of September: Mon-Thu 9.00-15.45 and Fri 9.00-14.45
In addition, the office will be open from 9.00 through 17.45 on the first and last working day of each month.
Please note that the office will be closed at 13.45 on Wednesday 7 September 2016.
TYS recommends that each tenant acquire a home insurance policy that also covers water damage. Water damage can cost the tenant thousands of euros or, in worst cases, tens of thousands of euros.
The tenant will be liable to compensate for any water damage caused by e.g. his or her negligence and for damage caused to the apartment by faulty domestic appliances. If the water damage is caused by the activities of someone other than the tenant, the tenant’s property may not necessarily be compensated for unless the tenant has a home insurance.
Checklist for moving in
Remember that the tenant is liable for checking the condition of the apartment when moving in and filling in the apartment card online. Any notices of defects observed in the apartment must be submitted online using the Tenant Pages. Notices of defects can and must be submitted throughout the duration of the tenancy when anything that should be checked or repaired is observed in the apartment, in the building, or in the yard areas.
For recycling instructions, go to the website. Recycling instructions will also be distributed to all apartments at the beginning of the autumn semester.
Instagram competition for the residents
50 years of student housing – take part in the Instagram competition. You can win a camera or a selfie stick. See the instructions here.
The aim is to innovate, develop, and test solutions that widely benefit students living in Turku in cooperation with the leading companies and organizations in the area. The combined value of the prizes is over €20,000, of which €7,000 goes to the winner. More information about the competition can be found at Turkulab’s website.
TYSBooking on the mobile phone
TYSBooking is also available as a mobile application. The application can be downloaded from Google Play, App Store, and Windows Phone Store. Search for “TYS Haltu” to find the application. A link to the application can also be found on TYSBooking under “mobile application”.
Once you have downloaded the application on your device, go to http://booking.tys.fi/mobile. You will receive a code for singing in that can be used to activate the application.
The mobile application can be used to make sauna and laundry room reservations. For the time being, parking and storage spaces can only be reserved and laundry credits purchased using the browser version of the application.
Each tenant will receive a combined invoice of the rent either when the tenancy contract takes effect or at the turn of the year. The same reference number must be used throughout the duration of the tenancy contract. If you have not received the invoice by email, it can also be found on the Tenant Pages. Please check your junk mail folder to make sure the invoice has not ended up there.
Contract on the handover of the keys
Please remember that the contract on the handover of the keys only applies to the keys to the apartment. Parking or storage space keys must not be handed over to the next resident but must always be returned to the housing office. More information about the keys and the contract form can be found here.
Please remember that you must acquire approval from TYS if you wish to extend your subtenancy contract with your lodger.
Lease must be terminated normally when applying abandonment in tenancy
You have to terminate your current lease with one month’s notice time, as normally . The agreement of interruption is not enough to terminate your lease. More information about interruption in tenancy can be found at our website.
Parking on the yard area
Parking is permitted in designated areas only. Parking is prohibited in the yard areas and on rescue routes. Short-term parking is allowed in front of the house when moving in or out but even then the car must be parked so that it can be moved immediately if the need arises.
Get to know our new bloggers Johanna, Lina and Ricardo. You can find all their blogposts at our website www.tys.fi/blogit
Please read more about the activities of the tenant committees. It is also advisable to keep up with any notices posted by your own tenant committee. All residents are invited to the tenant meeting of their building during the autumn term. Read more on the TYS website.
Maintenance operations on the network in the Student Village and other TYS apartments are carried out next Tuesday, the 16th of August after 16.00. The maintenance will cause short breaks in network connectivity in all TYS apartments.
For more information contact the University IT Customer Service: email@example.com / 02 333 6000
To celebrate the anniversary TYS is arranging an Instagram photo competition for the past and current residents. Keep the ‘likes’ on your picture coming and you stand the chance to win a camera worth 450 euros and other consolation prizes in December, 2016.
This is how it works:
- Take a picture (selfie, picture or 15 sec video) include the hashtags #TYSTurku #TYS50 #TYSMemories, mention us @tysturku, publish on Instagram. You can also scan and post an old picture.
- Email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, include your Instagram Handle , you will get a mention from us with the publication of the photo. You can also scan and send old photos by post to: TYS-Instagram, Turun Ylioppilaskyläsäätiö, Inspehtorinkatu 4, 20540 Turku. We will return the photos to your address.
- We will share pre-selected pictures on Instagram with #TYSTurku #TYS50 #TYSMemories
- Get your friends and family to like your picture
By sending your photos you give as the right to publish it in TYS Instagram account and in other marketing and promoting materials.
The Student Village Foundation of Turku has, in practice, distributed all the apartments that will become vacant in August. There might still be cancellations and you can ask the available apartments for August by telephone +358 2 275 0200.
TYS will start to offer apartments for September in the following weeks. Please remember to remove your application if you have already received an apartment from elsewhere.
TYS and R-kioski have agreed on forwarding student apartment keys to TYS customers. Keys are handed over by the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia, Addr. Kongressikuja 1, 20540 Turku https://www.r-kioski.fi/kioskit/turku-kongressikuja-1/
The service is available outside the opening hours of the TYS housing office. R-kioski is open 24/7.
If you wish to collect your keys on evenings or weekends, do the following:
- To collect your key from the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia you must have signed your lease beforehand or electronically. Signing your lease electronically requires Finnish bank indentifiers.
- Contact email@example.com e-mail address by 12:00 the previous workday at the latest, informing that you wish to collect your keys from the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia outside the office’s opening hours.
- Name your message R-kiosk + your name
- Wait for TYS e-mail answer about collecting the key. It will come latest the picking day 12 a´clock.
- TYS will send your key to the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia from where it can be collected for a fee of 5 Euro.
- The key can be collected from the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia on the day of your choice from 15:00 onwards. If you are unable to collect your key on the day you chose, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 on the same day at the latest.
- The uncollected keys will be returned to TYS and a cancellation fee of 15 Euro will be collected.
- R-kioski requires an official and valid id card, driver’s licence or passport to identify the customer. Only the person who has signed the lease may collect the key from the R-kioski of Spa Hotel Caribia.
The results from Studyinfo are in and the TYS systems are brimming with applications from new students. Congratulations to all the new, accepted students! Most of the apartments that will be released in August and in the beginning of September have not been allocated yet, and they will be allocated in the coming weeks.
If you wish to optimise your chances of getting a student apartment, do as follows:
• Attach the approval letter from your educational institute or a screenshot of your acceptance from Studyinfo pages to your application.
• Apartments are only offered to applicants who attach their approval notification to their application.
• Apply for a shared apartment; in student apartments you will get to know new people from different faculties and cultures.
• Apply well in advance; beginning of the autumn period is the busiest time with regard to applications, so the best option is to start your rental agreement from the beginning of August.
• Apply together with your friend; you will both make your own applications and note down your roommate wish in the additional information field.
• Follow your email; the apartment offer is only valid for 4 days.
• Update your application; add shared apartment as an option.
• Remove the application, if you get an apartment from elsewhere.
• Be active; if you have not received an apartment week before you need it, send us an enquiry about the application: email@example.com. It is possible that the location you have applied for does not have any vacant apartments, but other locations do.
• Do not despair; the situation will become easier by the beginning of November
A few additional facts:
• Your place in the apartment queue is affected by from how far away you are coming to study in Turku.
• In addition to this, the date you sent your application has an effect.
• Only new students of the autumn are chosen to the apartments that become free during August and September.