With summer approaching, it’s time to start thinking about how to make the best out of the few sunny days coming our way. Since Turku is a great city for biking, here are a few ideas of bike trips. We start today with two classics: Ruissalo and Naantali.
Before going anywhere, don’t forget to make sure your bike is in good condition. Well-inflated tires, greased chain, working brakes are essential to enjoy your bike trip! I know you know, but just a reminder.
One of the classics in Turku, the bike trip to Ruissalo is a great way to start the warm season. The first reason for that is that Ruissalo combines beautifully entertainment and nature. There are several things to see and to do there, including a few public saunas and a botanic garden, to name a few. Ruissalo being a protected zone, it is also one of the best places to see beautiful old houses in Turku.
The best destination on a hot day is probably the beach in Saaro, completely at the end of the road. There, one can lie on the beach while watching the ferries pass. There are also BBQ spots, which makes it a good place to share some grilled food with friends.
In a few bullet points:
- Distance from the TYS Office: 16km (one-way)
- Time (one way): 50min according to google maps, plan 1h if you don’t want to be in a hurry.
- Pros: BBQ, ferries, wildlife, old houses, swimming/sauna, plenty of places to stop on the way, flat road, family friendly.
- Cons: very popular (might be crowded)
- Suggested route
Overall, Ruissalo is just a great place to visit, and going by bike is the perfect way to enjoy the beautiful landscape and nature of the island. Don’t forget to bring sausages and some drinks!
My second suggestion of bike trip for today is Naantali. While it’s a bit further than Ruissalo, Naantali probably has more things to do. If you want to read more about what to do there, have a look here.
With it’s nice cafés, picturesque harbor, and historical church, Naantali is definitely worth visiting. And if you’re still not convinced, you should know that even Finnish presidents love the place, since their summer residence is located in there. There were even rumors than Vladimir Putin’s ex-wife might have built a house there…
But enough gossips, there is also Moominworld to visit in Naantali. An island exclusively dedicated to the charming creatures created by Tove Jansson.
In a few words:
- Distance from TYS office: 18.5km (one way)
- Time (one way): 1h05 according to google maps, give yourself an additional 20min to be sure, or count as much as 2h if you want to take your time
- Pros: scenic, many things to do, Moominworld, possibly Russian oligarchs
- Cons: the road isn’t as nice as the one to Ruissalo, possibly Russian oligarchs
- Suggested route
Bike is a great way to go around. It’s quicker than walking, cheaper than by car, and more flexible than taking the bus.
In a future blog, I’ll look at other options of bike trip in and around Turku. If you have any suggestion, please let me know in the comments!